The Community Health Worker will be part of a pilot program at CHC of Meriden and deliver culturally-competent services to help patients navigate and access community services, other applicable/appropriate resources, and adopt good health behaviors. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Attend a paid training program.
- Meet patients in a clinic or in the community to conduct a social determinants of health needs assessment.
- Assist patients to set health management goals; address issues with social determinants of health that are impacting their ability to reach their goals.
- Collaborate closely with the patient’s healthcare team (including appropriate community resources), to assure that the patient is adhering to referrals and recommendations developed around their health goals.
- Make recommendations back to the health care teams, based on level of care needed to optimize outcomes and minimize risk
- Make follow-up calls and visits to patients as needed, on a case by case basis.
- Assist patients with organizing their records, making follow-up appointments, and filling prescriptions.
- Help patients fill out applications for benefits to obtain additional assistance, such as SNAP.
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor and other CHW’s for patient case reviews.
- Document each patient encounter in the patient’s electronic health record.
- Communicate regularly with patient’s primary care team.
- Attend CHC site specific meetings, as needed.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
- Long- term Resident of community served by CHC, with strong knowledge of the resources in that community.
- Associates Degree
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to carry out written and oral instructions
- Demonstrated experience in the area of obtaining community resources/advocating on behalf of the patient.
- Comfortable with computer data entry
- Able and willing to work full time
- Two references
- Prior experience as an outreach worker preferred
- Bilingual- English and Spanish