On a daily basis, provides clinical and technical support for primary care providers. Implements all planned care items using electronic tools to ensure efficient and accurate workflow. Monitors equipment and performs clinical testing according to OSHA and CLIA standards. Liaises with patients, families, specialists, and all members of the health care team. With the primary care nurse and provider, ensures continuity and coordination of care in a patient centered medical home.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply evidence based guidelines from major regulatory and specialty groups, performs pre-visit preparation for all primary care patients scheduled to be seen
- In collaboration with the primary care nurse and provider, “e-huddles” utilizing the Planned Care Dashboard (an electronic tool that summarizing all care that is due for a patient at the time of their visit) to ensure complete and thorough primary care visits.
- Prepares patients to be seen by provider, using established criteria as appropriately determined by the nature of the visit (i.e., sick, PE, WCC, etc.).
- Accurately documents chief complaint and results from evidence based screening tests.
- Accurately performs and documents patient vital signs.
- Independently and accurately performs appropriate CLIA waived tests, EKG, hearing & vision test.
- Prioritizes work responsibilities on a daily basis, decreasing waiting time. Collaborates with providers, clinical and clerical support staff to facilitate appropriate patient flow. Effectively works as a member of the health care team assisting other team members as needed, or requested. Appropriately schedules tests and referrals for specialty care in accordance to Provider orders in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean, orderly, safe working environment. Oversees maintenance of supplies and documents in medical logs as directed.
- Setup and stock exam rooms and clean rooms at end of each day worked.
- Adheres to all infection control standards, follows Universal Precautions and safety policies and procedures of the Agency. Maintains yearly CPR certification as required for all clinical employees.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills to external and internal customers at all times with a focus on quality of care and teamwork that focuses on the needs of the department and/or the business in conjunction with the full mission of the Agency.
- Complies with Agency mandated in-service training workshops (EOC, Working Safely, Abuse, etc.).
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Requires manual dexterity to perform clinical tasks, moderate physical activity including standing, walking and lifting.
- Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens and/or bio-hazardous material.
- Communicates clinical/client information to providers accurately. Accurately take messages, and communicates on the telephone.
- Communicates effectively with other medical assistants, collaborates with medical provider and nursing staff.
- Access to clients’ charts and health care information.
- Maintains client confidentiality.