Provides comprehensive, professional nursing care that supports patient safety, quality of care, and optimum clinical outcomes to patients and their families. As part of a clinical team, enhances the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of care through both the performance of professional nursing responsibilities and the delegation of technical and clerical functions as appropriate to medical assistants. Provides patients with both general and focused health education regarding preventive, chronic, and episodic health care issues. Assumes responsibility, in collaboration with primary care providers to coordinate care, support transitions between levels of care, and counsel, educate, and support patients in improving health status. Applies principles of advanced access, planned care and the chronic care model, and rapid cycle performance improvement using the PDSA approach at CHCI.
SIGNIFICANT JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support primary care of patients under planned care model. Collaborates with PCP to identify needs for preventive care, evidence based chronic disease care, and care coordination.. Provides general and specific health care education. Works with patients to identify and monitor self management goals. Collaborates care with other community based providers. Follows up on emergency room visits and hospital discharges. Assists providers with exams, treatments, and procedures as needed.
- Ensures safe, accurate, clinically appropriate collection, storage, and processing of all biologic specimens. Administers medications, including vaccines and immunizations, orally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly, intradermly, by nasal or rectal route, or via nebulizer at the order of prescribing provider and under standing orders as established by CHCI. . Adheres to CHC protocols regarding documentation of medication, route, dosage, and information provided to patient. Monitors patient response to medication based on specific medication administered; detects, reports, and responds to any adverse reaction. Provides patient education as appropriate to the administered medication.
- Performs wide range of nursing activities as needed and after initial prescription by primary care provider such as wound care, catheterization, etc. Accurately documents all aspects of patient care in the medical chart on a timely basis. Schedules tests and referrals for specialty care on order of provider.
- Maintains strict infection control standards in accord with CHCI protocols and universal precautions OSHA and CLIA standards.
- Acts as a resource person for medical assistants regarding patient preparation, needs and procedures needed.
- Monitors and ensures follow up of all abnormal Pap Smear results, STDs, lead screens and other tests and screens performed at CHCI.
- Oversees the maintenance of supplies and equipment, ordering supplies as necessary.
- Maintains compliance with agency mandatory annual training (Patient Safety, Abuse, Age Based Competencies, EOC, Abuse trainings, etc.)
- Expert use of electronic health record to ensure timely, safe, confidential storage and retrieval of patient information
- BSN required
- Current State of Connecticut Registered Nurse license
- 1+ yr exp as RN, ambulatory health care setting preferred.
- Knowledge of patient population/community resources and agencies.
Community Health Center, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits including medical/dental plans, tuition reimbursement, short term/long term disability coverage, 403b plan with discretionary company match/contribution, flexible spending plans, group life insurance coverage, Employee Assistance Program, classroom based/on-line computer skill development resources and more! Please note that completion of a background check, receipt of proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and completion of all requirements of our Infection Control policy will be required prior to working at Community Health Center, Inc.