The Service Desk Manager’s role is to oversee all Service Desk staff and ensure that end users are receiving the appropriate assistance. This includes the responsibility of managing all procedures related to identification, prioritization and resolution of incidents, including the monitoring, tracking and coordination of Service Desk functions across the agency. The Service Desk Manager is also responsible for planning, designing, and analyzing the organization’s service desk according to best practices, while ensuring high levels of customer service quality and availability. This individual will develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent service levels and quick resolutions. The Service Desk Manager is also responsible for staffing capacity planning, service process design, performance analysis, and developing proactive resolution plans. The Service Desk Manager will also contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
Strategy & Planning
- Develop Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
- Develop policies and procedures that outline how problems are identified, documented, assigned and corrected.
- Analyze performance of Service Desk activities and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Plan and conduct performance appraisals of Service Desk staff, administer disciplinary action, raises, bonuses and promotions when necessary.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Prepare budget proposals and operational expenditure statements.
- Collaborate with other departments to identify and/or procure Service Desk software for internal staff and external clients.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols and standards in support of service desk technology procurement and development efforts.
- Liaise with vendors for the procurement of new systems technologies; oversee installation and resolve adaptation issues.
- Ensure appropriate training initiatives for new and existing staff.
- Purchasing and deployment tasks.
- Manage the processing of incoming calls to the Service Desk via both telephone and e-mail to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of end user issues that includes dispatching staff across our 250+ locations.
- Develop and enforce request handling and escalation policies and procedures.
- Track and analyze trends in Help Desk requests and generate statistical reports.
- Assess need for any system reconfigurations (minor or significant) based on request trends and make recommendations.
- Identify, recommend, develop and implement end user training programs to increase computer literacy and self-sufficiency.
- Oversee development and communication of help sheets, usage guides and FAQs for end users.
- Attend training seminars, conferences and trade shows to broaden knowledge of current and future Service Desk issues and technologies.
- Oversee the development, implementation and administration of service desk staff training procedures and policies.
- Train, coach and mentor Service Desk Technicians and other junior staff.
- Manage the overall desk activities and staff.
- Contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
- Attend Change Advisor Board (CAB) meetings.
- Monitor incident trends and anticipate potential problems for proactive resolution.
Requirements, Qualifications & Skills:
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelors degree in the field of computer science or business management - Required
- at least 5+ years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Extensive application support experience with Healthcare Applications
- Extensive knowledge of computer hardware and software
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities
- Experience with desktop and server operating systems, and networking
- Familiarity with the advanced principles of ITIL and Service Desk Best Practices